Friday, July 22, 2011

I find myself in an interesting place as a parent with my son who graduated from highschool this year.He is a wonderful young man who rarely gives me any problems. My issue isn't with him, it is with me. Knowing how tightly or lightly to hold on as a mom (single mom) is hard to discern at times. I know that he must have freedom to grow and become the man God wants him to be but at the same time he still needs guidance. Ken gave a great analogy in a message a couple of weeks ago in his sermon on parenting. 'Kids are like a bar of wet soap. If you hold too tight they shoot out of your hand and too loose they fall out of your hand. I get that. I am just unsure at times what that looks like in various situations. I have a great relationship with my son, so fortunately, he usually gives me fairly good clues. I can just feel a tension when I am too "in his buisness" and I can usually sense frustration when he needs help. I think much of it has to do with the way I approach the situation. Speaking to our sort of grown kids(especially to our young men) as adults and listening is the key. When I fail in this there is trouble. I will say that God certainly uses this to sanctify!!

No comments:

Post a Comment