Monday, August 1, 2011

Isaiah 54:5 for "All the single ladies"

For your Maker is your husband--the LORD Almighty is his name--the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth....

I remember not long after my divorce a sweet sister came up to me and said, "we have the same Husband now." At the time I knew intellectually what that meant because I knew this verse. Christ is also all our husbands as head of the church. What I didn't have ( and am still working on) is the heart knowledge that I have a heavenly husband who is far more beautiful and perfectly suited to me than any human could ever be.

Have you heard the story about the child who was frightened of the dark? His daddy told him "Jesus is with you" and the child replied that he really needed someone with skin on. Well, we know God as father and Christ as Lord and savior and friend but husband? I for one want someone wiith "skin on" to talk to and have companionship with. I want someone to fix a faucet or give a hug when the day was hard, or laugh with when the day was good. Someone who knows me and loves me still. Someone to care for who can appreciate the meal you cooked, or the flowers on the table, or the clean home they get to come home to.

If you are divorced somebody let you down in these areas. If you are widowed then you miss what you have known for those years. If you have never married then chances are you have longed for an image you have created in your mind.

I have been on my own for four years. I feel as if I am really only beginning this journy.  I  know that what ever is lacking He will fill up as I seek to honor, serve and obey Him. He will send ministers with "skin on". Freinds to give a hug, children to love and laugh with. A kind neighbor (many, many kind freinds) to help practically when something needs moved, fixed or whatever. He will provide those for me to care for. Someone who needs a good meal, or a little help with house work ( a few flowers to brighten someones day).

As painful as it is to be on my own , it is also an opprotunity to grow to be more like Christ.  I can follow his perfect leadership, submit to his authority, glean confidence from His character, and fellowship with my family in Christ. He is my Husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment